Legalisation of Birth and Marriage Certificates

If you intend to live in Finland for at least a year, you must register at a Digital and Population Data Services. If you are married or have children and you wish to register your family relations officially, you must provide legalised and translated marriage and/or birth certificate upon registration. Legalisation does not mean the same as an original document. Please note that usually legalisation process can be done only in the country that has issued the document. Please make sure that you with the needed documents before your arrival in Finland.

Legalisation is done in two different ways depending on whether the country that has supplied the document has ratified the Hague Convention of 1961 or not. Documents from countries that have ratified the Hague Convention are legalised by the issuance of a so-called Apostille Certificate (a stamp or a paper certificate). Documents issued by other countries are legalised through the so-called Grand Legalisation procedure.

Please note that population register documents in English no longer need to be legalised between Finland and Estonia.

Information sources and further information: