"Science and technology for health and wellbeing"
Medical physics and biomedical engineering research aims for earlier diagnosis and better therapy. We have established a research continuum in Kuopio campus that covers all the research phases from basic research to epidemiological studies.
We work in multidisciplinary environment that has strong knowledge e.g. in physics, chemistry, mathematics, human biology, computer science and engineering. In addition to active international research collaboration we have established international MSc-program Medical Physics and Engineering. Research topics include e.g.: biophysics of bone and cartilage, biosignal analysis and novel tissue engineering.
Main research facilities contain: medical imaging continuum from cell level to whole body imaging studies, material characterization and coating, laboratories for human signal and motion analysis.
- Prof. Kullervo Hynynen (Biomedical ultrasound)
- Prof. Jukka Jurvelin (Medical physics)
- Prof Petro Julkunen (Neuromuscular biomechanics)
- Prof. Pasi A. Karjalainen (Signal and image analysis)
- Prof. Rami Korhonen (Biomechanical modeling)
- Prof. Reijo Lappalainen (Biomaterials technology)
- Prof. Vesa-Pekka Lehto (Pharmaceutical physics)
- Prof. Juha Töyräs (Biophysics)
- University Researcher Mika Tarvainen (Physiological modeling)