European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) Citizens

Employees coming from the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) are allowed to arrive and work without residence permits or visas in Finland.

Citizens of the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) do not need a residence permit either. However, if you are staying in Finland for longer than three months (90 days) you must register your right to reside in Finland at your local police station in Finland.

As a rule, a foreign citizen must carry a valid passport in order to enter Finland. Since the Schengen Agreement has been applied in Finland (2001), transiting (including flights) from one country to another within the Schengen Area is done without border controls.

Nevertheless, citizens of the Schengen countries must have a passport or an internationally recognised official identity card during their stay in Finland. It is recommended that those coming from the Schengen countries bring a passport with them to Finland. It is absolutely necessary in case you desire to travel outside the EU from Finland, e.g., to Russia.