Aerosol research at the Department belongs to top-level international research area at UEF, “Aerosols, climate change and human health”. A unique feature of the research on air pollutants is the interdisciplinary approach connected to air pollution and health related toxicological studies. It combines the physico-chemical and toxicological characterization of fine and nanoparticles aiming at a holistic understanding of the causative constituents activating harmful health effects. The joint approach of Fine particle and aerosol technology and Inhalation toxicology research groups form the core of this research at the Department. In deep collaboration with the aerosol research groups at Department of Applied Physics they share a state-of-the-art infrastructure at Kuopio campus as well as extensive national and international collaboration networks. Moreover, aerosol research on cleantech applications utilizing the functional materials synthesis pilot facilities and occupational and indoor environments supports this field in development of the bioaerosol research and testing facility.
The key research topics in 2016-2020 are:
- Combustion emissions, their atmospheric transformation and engineered nanoparticles. Focusing on
- black carbon, secondary organic aerosols and metals from combustion emission
- identification of activated immunotoxicological mechanisms/pathways and causative chemical constituents using simultaneous in vitro and in vivo exposure
- engineered nanoparticles and their safety and health issues. Urban air studies on physicochemical properties and health related toxicological effects in vitro and in vivo of PM samples collected in highly polluted area in China and in Europe.
- Human exposure in protective and high-risk environments focusing on
- the assessment of common and distinct mechanisms of immunoregulation and toxicity associated with health effects and
- development of testing facilities for bioaerosols in indoor air/occupational exposure.
- Cleantech applications at the assessment of best practices for emission abatement strategies includes
- investigations on primary and secondary measures for emission reduction from combustion sources
- the development of new renewable energy technologies by aerosol methods.