Choosing a publishing channel
When choosing a suitable, reliable and high-quality publishing channel, you can utilise, for example, the following services:
- Publication Forum (JUFO) can be searched for scientific journals, series and book publishers that have a JUFO rating. The Publication Forum’s JUFO rating is a quality of publication channels classification by a Finnish science community. You can narrow down your search to only OA journals.
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR) database allows you to check the impact factor values and other citing and reference indicators of journals in the Web of Science database. Using JCR is subject to a charge, and you can also access it outside the campus network via UEF Primo using your UEF username and password.
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) contains a comprehensive list of OA journals of various disciplines.
- BASE (Bielefeld University Library) is one of the most voluminous search engines for academic web resources
- SCImago Journal & Country Rank portal contains indicators for evaluating journals and countries that are based on the Scopus database (e.g. h-index, number of citations, SJR).You can narrow down your search to only OA journals.
- Elsevier Journal Finder is a tool by the Elsevier publishing company. It allows you to search for a suitable journal from over 2,000 options. You can narrow down your search to a certain field of science or to OA journals. You also receive bibliometric information of the journals (processing time, impact factor etc.).
- Springer Journal Suggester searches all Springer and BioMed Central journals.
- Edanz Journal Selector is a tool for choosing suitable journals beyond publisher borders. A journal can be searched, for instance, by field of study or an abstract. You can narrow down your search to OA journals.
- Research Square's JournalGuide helps to find the best journal for your research. A growing journal database across all academic fields.
- IEEE Publication Recommender helps to find the best match for your scholarly article of technology.
- JANE – Journal Article Name Estimator helps you to choose a suitable journal, focusing on disciplines of biomedicine. The search is limited to publications indexed by the Medline database. OA journals are highlighted in the results.
- Academic journal guide (CABS, Chartered Association of Business Schools, UK) - guide to the range and quality of journals in which business and management academics publish their research, based upon peer review, editorial and expert judgements.
When choosing a publishing channel, beware of dishonest, so-called predatory OA publishers. Such journal titles have been gathered on the Beall’s List, which, however, is not updated at the moment. The list contains potential or plausible scientifically questionable OA journals that often neglect peer-reviewing and mainly aim for cashing in from scientists.
Also Cabells Blacklist can be used for checking potential predatory journals.
For more information:
Beware of predators! blog post in UEF Library's blog
Check list for making sure you choose trusted journals for your research / Think. Check. Submit.
EndNote Manuscript Matcher suggests the top candidates for your manuscript / EndNote
Evaluating Open Access Journals / Ryerson University Library & Archives