UEF - Nordic-UK Brain Network (UEF-NBN)
The team is led by Associate Professor Alina Solomon, who is also Chief Scientific Officer of the NBN. UEF-NBN is also the coordinating site for several NBN studies conducted in Finland.The Nordic-UK Brain Network (NBN) is an international collaborative platform established and led by Prof. Miia Kivipelto (UEF, Institute of Public Health and Clinical nutrition) and currently including five sites:
- University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio (Finland)
- Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, THL, Helsinki (Finland)
- Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm (Sweden)
- FINGERS Brain Health Institute, Stockholm (Sweden)
- Imperial College, London (UK)
The UEF-NBN team is part of the Department of Neurology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, based in the Kuopio campus of UEF.
The main scope of our team is to increase the resources available to the field of dementia research and promote collaboration among participating countries, as well as world-wide.
Our main research interests are the promotion of brain health and prevention of cognitive decline and dementia. We work on a wide range of projects which include longitudinal clinic- and population-based cohort studies, as well as randomised controlled trials.
We are also actively involved in projects focused on the biological mechanisms of dementia and its prevention, as well as the development of biomarkers for early diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment monitoring. More recently, the NBN has been developing and testing novel eHealth tools for dementia risk detection, prevention, and clinical decision support.
Alina Solomon (Research Director)
alina.solomon (at) uef.fi
+358 (0) 40 355 2015
The team is currently considering applications for MSc and PhD students.
For more information, please contact alina.solomon (at) uef.fi
Current and past funders
- Academy of Finland
- European Research Council
- Juho Vainio Foundation
- Doctoral Programmes of Clinical Research and Health Science
- Finnish Cultural Foundation
- Northern Savo Cultural Foundation
- Orion Pharma Research Foundation
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation
- Finnish Brain Foundation – Aivosäätiö
Collaborators at UEF
- Prof. Mikko Hiltunen (Molecular Genetics of Alzheimer's Disease)
- Dr. Merja Hallikainen (Brain Research Unit)
- Prof. Eija Lonröös (Geriatrics)
- Prof. Liisa Suominen (Institute of Dentistry)
- Prof. Ursula Schwab (Dietary factors and non-communicable diseases)
National and international collaborations