Answers to frequently asked questions concerning Transfor-M at UEF

Contact the local Transfor-M advisor(s) for further information.

Students having UEF as the home university

1. What are the language proficiency and academic excellence requirements for Finnish students aiming at going to Canada?

Good command of English language is a basic requirement for admission. For further information regarding to the admission requirements of each Canadian university, please check the admission requirements available on each university's own web pages.

2. I am a German student and I would like to have UEF as my home university. Would that be possible?

No, we would advise you to apply though Transfor-M university in your home country.

3. I have already started my MSc studies in forest sciences at UEF and would be willing to apply to this programme. Can I do that and if yes, how?

Yes, students who are about to finalize their BSc degree or have already started their MSc studies in the School of Forest Sciences are able to apply for the programme. Please contact Marjoriitta Möttönen for further details.

Students having UEF as the host university

1. If I am selected to Transfor-M programme and my home university will be University of Eastern Finland, how and when do I apply for admission to UEF?

After you have been admitted by the Transfor-M Consortium to Transfor-M programme, you will receive instructions how to apply for admission to UEF and what educational documents are needed.

2. If I am selected to Transfor-M programme and my host university will be University of Eastern Finland, how and when do I apply for accommodation?

The Student Housing Office, Joensuun Elli, offers accommodation for the students in the shared 3-5 room apartments where each student occupies a single room. The residents of each apartment share a kitchen and a bathroom with a shower. The average monthly rent is approximately 140-350 EUR per month.

Note that each accepted student needs to apply for accommodation as soon as she/he has decided to accept his/her study place. It is not possible for two students to live in one single room and, therefore, it is essential that each student sends his/her own accommodation application. It is also important to accept the received offer as otherwise one might end up not having accommodation.

More information and a link to the application form in the web pages of The Student Housing Office Joensuun Elli

3. Do I need to apply for a Finnish residence permit?

If you come from non-EU countries and your host university will be the University of Eastern Finland, you need to apply for Finnish residence permit. Information on residence permits in Finland can be found at the web pages of the Finnish Immigration Service.

4. How do I register as a present student at the University of Eastern Finland?

Together with your admission letter you will receive instructions how and when you are able to make the registration. General information about the registration and practical issues related to studies at UEF can be found at the web pages of Student and Learning Services. Please also read carefully the Practical Guide for International Students.

5. Do I need an insurance?

Yes, the University of Easter Finland expects that the students arriving to study at UEF, have an adequate insurance. Also the requirements of the residence permit include that the student has an adequate insurance. Please read more HERE.

In addition for the general information about Finnish society and living in Finland, check "Infopankki" page.

Please also read more about studying at the School of Forest Sciences HERE.

Answers to frequently asked general questions