Answers to frequently asked questions concerning CBU FOR

Contact the local CBU FOR coordinators for further information.

1. Do I need to know Russian language?

The knowledge of Russian language is not included in the admission requirements in Finland and the language of instruction of CBU FOR courses is English.

For the requirements in Russia, consult the local coordinators.

2. What are the language proficiency requirements?

Good command of English language is a basic requirement for admission. For further information regarding to the admission requirements of the University of Eastern Finland see the admission requirements. For the requirements in Russia, consult the local coordinators.

3. If I am selected to CBU FOR programme and my home university will be University of Eastern Finland, how and when do I apply for accommodation?

The Student Housing Office, Joensuun Elli, offers accommodation for the students in the shared 3-5 room apartments where each student occupies a single room. The residents of each apartment share a kitchen and a bathroom with a shower. The average monthly rent is approximately 140-350 EUR/month.

Note that each accepted student needs to apply for accommodation as soon as she/he has decided to accept his/her study place. It is not possible for two students to live in one single room and, therefore, it is essential that each student sends his/her own accommodation application. It is also important to accept the received offer as otherwise one might end up not having accommodation. The CBU FOR studies start each year in August and therefore, all students would need to have accommodation from the beginning of August.

More information and a link to the application form in the web pages of The Student Housing Office Joensuun Elli

4. Do I need to apply for a Finnish residence permit?

If you come from non-EU countries and your home university will be the University of Eastern Finland, you need to apply for Finnish residence permit. Information on residence permits in Finland can be found at the web pages of the Finnish Immigration Service.

5. Do I need to have a visa to Russia?

Some of the CBU FOR courses will be taught in Russia and, therefore, the accepted non-Russian students whose home university is University of Eastern Finland need a visa to Russia. The visa applications can be made after starting the studies and as soon as the timing of studies in Russia is known. CBU FOR staff will advise you in the visa application process.  More information about visas in Russia: How to apply for visa to Russia?

6. How do I register as a present student at the University of Eastern Finland?

Together with your admission letter you will receive instructions how and when you are able to make the registration. General information about the registration and practical issues related to studies at UEF can be found at the web pages of Student and Learning Services. Please also read carefully the Practical Guide for International Students.

7. Do I need an insurance?

Insurance: The University of Easter Finland expects that the students arriving to study at UEF, have an adequate insurance. Also the requirements of the residence permit include that the student has an adequate insurance. Please read more HERE.

In addition for the general information about Finnish society and living in Finland, check "Infopankki" page.

Please also read more about studying at the School of Forest Sciences HERE.

Answers to frequently asked general questions