Information regarding the COVID-19 situation
Statement on 23 March:
Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions on travelling and gatherings, we have today decided that ISLE 6 will not take place as planned in June. We are now looking for a new date in June 2021. All workshops and accepted abstracts will retain their current status and will be rescheduled for the new dates. If you have already registered for ISLE 6, we ask you to hold your registrations for the new date. We will keep you informed about any further developments.
Statement on 16 March:
As conference organisers, we closely monitor UEF’s guidelines as they respond to advice from national and international health officials.
We are still 11 weeks from the conference, and to help the ISLE community to adjust to the situation, we have extended the early-bird registration to 3 May 2020. We have also updated the cancellation policy to match the new deadlines.
The organizing committee meets every week to assess the situation, and we plan to issue the next update with current information by the end of March.
Statement on 9 March:
Dear ISLE members,
As organizers of the upcoming ISLE 6 conference in Joensuu, we are currently closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. Right now, we are still some 12 weeks from the conference, but as we all have seen, various international events have been affected by the growing risks related to the virus.
As organizers, we follow the situation based on the guidelines of the Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare. They work closely with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO), assessing the health risks related to the virus.
Up-to-date information on the coronavirus in Finland can be found at https://thl.fi/en/web/infectious-diseases/what-s-new/coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates.
As of 6 March, the authorities estimate that the risk of infection in the EU countries is moderate, and currently no specific measures or restrictions on travel or international trade are planned.
The situation may of course change rapidly, and we want to communicate the situation with you transparently and quickly. In case the situation changes, we will inform you of any travel restrictions and recommendations by the authorities through the ISLE website (www.isle-linguistics.org) and through the ISLE 6 website. We also assume that all of you monitor the situations locally.
We currently take the following actions:
- Keep a close eye on the situation in Finland/Europe and in the neighboring regions.
- All the decisions regarding the conference arrangements will be based on the information available through health authorities in Finland and in Europe.
- We are currently considering extending the early bird period for registration to early May so please check for any updates at the conference website.
- No final decisions are made, but similar to many other conferences this year, we are working on enabling alternative ways of presenting contributions digitally in case some contributors will not be able to travel because of travel restrictions.
- As per the information we currently have, we are planning to have ISLE 6 as scheduled.
We hope that all of you understand this situation.
In case you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact at email@example.com.
9 March 2020 in Joensuu
Mikko Laitinen and the entire ISLE 6 team