How to apply?
The Doctoral Programme in Social and Cultural Encounters has two application periods for doctoral study places each year. The doctoral application is closing in the end of April and in the end of October. The autumn application period is from Septemper 1 (0.01 AM EET) until October 30 (23.59 PM EET), 2020. The online application form is in Studyinfo -service.
- Make sure you are an eligible applicant for doctoral studies at the SCE Doctoral Programme. Read carefully the eligibility and admission criteria and all other available instructions. All applicants must address the selection criteria. If you have questions or if you are unsure about your eligibility, contact the coordinator of SCE in good time before submitting your application.
- Start preparing supervisory arrangements in good time - finding supervisors can take several months. You must contact potential supervisors yourself and discuss your research ideas and plans with them.
- Prepare your research plan carefully. It is the most important part of your application.
- Prepare other application documents. If you do not submit your documents following the instructions, your application may be rejected.
- Submit your application by filling in the online application form at Studyinfo.fi. Allow enough time to complete the application form.
Your application must include the following documents:
- Copies of previous higher education degree certificates, transcripts and other documents which affect eligibility for studies (upon request, original degree certificates must be presented before enrolment);
- Research plan written according to the instructions of the SCE doctoral programme and approved by the supervisors;
- Written consent of at least two supervisors (for example consent sent by e-mail);
- Documents verifying your English language skills.
Requirements for the documents uploaded in electronic format:
- Please scan the original documents with care, always scan in color and remember to scan all pages. If your scan is blurred, discoloured or the file is flawed it will not be accepted. The use of PDF -format is encouraged, as this ensures that the files can be opened in all operating systems.
- We accept scanned copies of the original degree certificates and transcripts as well as the translations.
- We do not accept scans of photocopies unless they have been certified by the awarding institution.
NB! Incomplete applications will not be processed.
The selection of the doctoral students is based on the selection criteria of the doctoral programme. The coordinator of the doctoral programme verifies the eligibility of the contents of the applicant's earlier degree. The Steering Committee of the Doctoral Programme assesses each application against the admission criteria and in comparison with the other applications and makes proposals concerning their approval or rejection. Deans of the faculties grant the study places to doctoral students and confirm the supervisors for the doctoral dissertation with their decision. The admission results are published at My StudyInfo -service. The applicants will receive the decision about the study right also by email.